You want to take a test to check your knowledge of the foreign language, but you are confused because of the different tests available. Don’t panic, the thing is that the purpose of you taking the test usually determines the kind of test you would pass. The two fundamental tests that measure your command of a foreign language are the TOEFL and the TOEIC.
The tests differ in a number of factors.
Purpose of the Test
TOEFL determines the level of one’s command of English for the potential further academic study (at some educational institution).
TOEIC evaluates the level of one’s command of English appropriate for the further work in the sphere of business (global workplace).
Reasons to Take the Test
TOEFL is used
- to fulfill language requirements for school/college admission or graduation requirements;
- to apply for an exchange program or scholarship;
- to assess the progress achieved after the course completion;
- to measure the effectiveness of the program;
- to practice for taking TOEFL or any other alike tests.
TOEIC is used
- to help employers decide on whether or not to hire or promote certain employee(s);
- to help employers measure the readiness of the workers to participate in any training conducted in English;
- to evaluate learning progress in corporation’s training courses;
- to measure program effectiveness and the progress made during the course (for English language business-oriented courses/schools/programs).
Who Takes the Test?
TOEFL is taken by the students who are interested in obtaining scholarships or participating in the exchange programs, foreign students wanting to enter a college or a university abroad (not only in the English-speaking countries), and college/university students who are fulfill certain language requirements.
TOEIC is usually taken by the job applicants and potential employees of the international firms and corporations where the knowledge of the language is a primary requirement; by students or students-to-be of the business, trade and vocational schools, colleges and programs.