If you have sentences that contain underlined words, you should know that you are expected to choose one of them, as each sentence of this type has one grammar mistake. If you deal with sentences that contain blanks, you are to choose among the given variants one that will fit sentence.
1. Popular belief in the United States is that an early life of hardship and poverty made Abraham Lincoln to be the great leader he was.
a) an early
c) to be
2. According to the scientific method, a scientist must consider ______ outcome.
a) any outcome and to be a possible
b) any outcome and the possible
c) any outcome a possibility
d) any outcome a possible
3. After her death in 1986 many documentaries ______ Georgia O'Keeffe were produced.
a) related the life and work of
b) to relate life and work
c) life and working to relate
d) relating the life and work of
4. ______ the passage of light, many new plastics are processed using technologies rivaling those used in the manufacture of computer chips.
a) To better permit
b) Permitting better
c) For the better of
d) It is better for
5. The architecture exhibited in the Empire State Building and conveyed us an idea of the prevailing attitudes of the day is important for the historical and cultural value it represents.
d) it represents
6. In 2001 George W. Bush, Jr., entered his first year office as President of the United States.
a) In 2001
d) as President
7. Similar in climate and geography many northeastern cities is Portland, the largest city in Oregon.
8. Uranium, ______ , is an exceedingly rare and potentially dangerous element.
a) to found in trace quantities
b) found in trace quantities
c) finding in trace quantities
d) to be found in trace quantities
9. The Flower Market in San Francisco is ______, and was established in the 1930's.
a) home to the country's second largest flower market
b) home of the second largest flower market in the country
c) the second flower market in the country's home of
d) the home to the second country's large flower market
10. Because of extensive research in the field of genetic engineers, scientists can now create plants that farmers can grow in harsh climates.