• How is the Speaking section scored?
• Each of the six tasks is rated from 0 to 4, and the average of these scores is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
• Human scorers rate the responses. They estimate the test-taker's ability in topic development, delivery, and language use.
• How is the Writing section scored?
• The two tasks are rated from 0 to 5, and the average of these scores is converted to a scaled score of 0 to 30.
• Human scorers rate the responses.
• Scorers evaluate the integrated writing task on the overall quality of the writing (development, organization, appropriate and precise use of grammar and vocabulary) and the completeness and accuracy of the content. Also, scorers rate the independent writing essay on the overall quality of the writing:
o Appropriate and precise use of grammar and vocabular
• Has the TOEFL score scale changed for Internet-based testing?
Yes. The new score scale is shown here.
Section Score Scale
Total Score 0-120
The total score is the sum of the four skill scores.
• What happens to scores from previous tests?
ETS will report previous scores for two years after the original test date.
• Will institutions still accept previous scores?
Requirements vary from institution to institution. Test takers should check with their prospective institutions or agencies to determine specific requirements.