Internet-based TOEFL test differs from computer-based and paper-based versions of the TOEFL test. The main peculiarities of the new iBT are the following:
• It is elaborated to test all four language skills, such as Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing; each of them is important for effective communication.
• It lasts about four hours. It is possible to take all test section in one day, which makes it much easier for people, because it is not necessary to travel to a test center two times.
• It is delivered via the Internet in secure test centers around the world. However, as for the areas, in which TOEFL iBT has not been introduced so far, the paper – based and / or computer – based versions of the Test are administered up until TOEFL iBT becomes available there.
• There are questions, which require a person to combine or integrate more than one skill at a time. It is considered to be extremely important to be able to combine different language skills, such as speaking or writing about material, which is being listened or red. With the help of TOEFL iBT it becomes possible to prove that the person is able to combine his / her skills to communicate his / her ideas in some effective way, which is one of the main keys to academic success.
The new integrated tasks ask people to:
- Read, listen and then speak in response to some question;
- Listen and then speak to response to some question;
- Read, listen and then write to response to some question.
• There is a speaking section added in the TOEFL iBT, which includes six tasks. When a person responds, he/she wears headphones and speaks into a microphone. All the responses are recorded and sent to ETS’s Online Scoring Network, in which three to six certified ETS raters work by evaluating them. All the rates are monitored for accuracy and maximum score reliability in a constant way.
• As for the writing section, it has got expanded. The new TOEFL requires a person to write responses to the material he / she has red and listened to and then compose an essay in order to support the opinion or reject it. All the responses are evaluated by a minimum of four certified ETS raters via the Online Scoring Network.
• Structure section does not exist anymore, although grammar is tested in all four sections of the TOEFL.
• It has been allowed to take notes. Everyone, passing iBT can takes notes on any section of the test. In addition, these notes can be used when answering questions. After the testing has finished all the notes are collected and shredded before a person leave the test center.
• It has become possible to explain the person’s English – language skill level better with the help of new scores. There is scoring information, provided by ETS, which includes four skill scores as well as total score. A person also receives performance feedback on his / her score report, where it is stated what he / she can do at his / her level; it also includes advice on how skills or knowledge can be improved.
• There is online registration and scoring available, which makes everything more convenient.
• Learning resources, such as TOEFL Practice Online have been offered.