• What is the test like?
The test includes four sections, plus computer tutorials and a break. This takes between 3.5 and 4 four hours to complete everything.
Section Time Limit No. of Questions
Tutorials 30 minutes¬ —
Listening 40-60 minutes 30-50
Structure 15-20 minutes 20-25
Break 5 minutes —
Reading 70-90 minutes 44-55
Writing 30 minutes 1 topic
• What am I tested on in each section?
• Listening measures the ability to understand English as it is spoken in North America.
• Structure measures the ability to recognize language that is appropriate for standard written English.
• Reading measures the ability to understand short passages similar in topic and style to academic texts used in colleges and universities.
• Writing measures the ability to write in English on an assigned topic.
• Are all the questions multiple choice?
Most of the questions are multiple choice. But, several new types of questions may require
• selecting a visual or part of a visual
• answering questions with more than one response.
• How can I prepare?
• Free Test Prep - ETS provides official test preparation materials for free to anyone who registers for the TOEFL exam worldwide.
• Priced Test Prep – ETS also offers additional test preparation materials for set prices.